Wednesday, February 22, 2012

notre dating

Next week Legends is hosting Kerry Cronin, labeled the “BC Date Doctor,” who will come to speak about friendship and dating relationships at Notre Dame. The event is called Notre Dating: The Lost Art of Friendship and Romance. I will not be able to attend the event because of another commitment, but I am curious as to what Cronin has to say. One thing I want to know is what classifies her as a “dating expert”? I am not doubting her tips or knowledge, as I have not yet heard what she has to say, but I do not see how anyone can be an expert when it comes to dating. We all know that things like communication, trust, and openness are important aspects of relationships, but how can we develop a “how-to guide to dating” or “how-to guide for moving from friendship to romance,” as Cronin claims to have? Everyone is different, and what works for one couple will not necessarily work for the next! I am curious as to whether Cronin will be offering more of a humorous commentary on the dating world and gender relations at Notre Dame, as we all know are quite unique, or if she really thinks that there is one, foolproof way to approach dating. Furthermore, I am curious if she will acknowledge lesbian, gay, and bisexual relationships in addition to heterosexual ones. I noticed that one of the sponsors is Campus Ministry, so I wonder if this will be an attempt to promote conservative dating styles of the past and serve as an endorsement of heterosexual relationships. Again, I am not accusing Cronin or Campus Ministry of any particular agenda. I also realize that this post does not really offer insights, but rather is a source of questions. I wish I could attend this event myself to answer my questions, but since I cannot I would love to hear feedback if anyone goes!  

Here’s the link: http://grc.nd.edu/calendar/notre-dating/

No comments:

Post a Comment